This DPA shall not replace or supersede any agreement or addendum relating to processing of personal data negotiated by Customer and referenced in the Agreement, and any such individually negotiated agreement or addendum shall apply instead of this DPA.
In the course of providing the Services to Customer pursuant to the Agreement, Moltin may process personal data on behalf of Customer. Moltin agrees to comply with the following provisions with respect to any personal data submitted by or for Customer to the Services or collected and processed by or for Customer through the Services. Any capitalized but undefined terms herein shall have the meaning set forth in the Agreement.
Data Processing Terms
In this DPA, "Data Protection Legislation" means European Directives 95/46/EC and 2002/58/EC (as amended by Directive 2009/136/EC) and any legislation and/or regulation implementing or made pursuant to them, or which amends, replaces, re-enacts or consolidates any of them (including the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/279)), and all other applicable laws relating to processing of personal data and privacy that may exist in any relevant jurisdiction.
"data controller", “data processor”, “data subject”, “personal data”, “processing”, and “appropriate technical and organisational measures” shall be interpreted in accordance with applicable Data Protection Legislation;
The parties agree that Customer is the data controller and that Moltin is its data processor in relation to personal data that is processed in the course of providing the Services. Customer shall comply at all times with Data Protection Legislation in respect of all personal data it provided to Moltin pursuant to the Agreement.
The subject-matter of the data processing covered by this DPA is the Services ordered by Customer either through Moltin’s website and provided by Moltin to Customer via moltin.com, or as additionally described in the Agreement or the DPA. The processing will be carried out until the term of Customer’s ordering of the Services ceases. Further details of the data processing are set out in Annex 1 hereto.
In respect of personal data processed in the course of providing the Services, Moltin:
- shall process the personal data only in accordance with the instructions from Customer (as set out in this DPA or the Agreement or as otherwise notified by Customer to Moltin (from time to time). If Moltin is required to process the personal data for any other purpose provided by applicable law to which it is subject, Moltin will inform Customer of such requirement prior to the processing unless that law prohibits this on important grounds of public interest;
- shall notify Customer without undue delay if, in Moltin’s opinion, an instruction for the processing of personal data given by Customer infringes applicable Data Protection Legislation;
- shall implement and maintain appropriate technical and organisational measures designed to protect the personal data against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction, damage, theft, alteration or disclosure. These measures shall be appropriate to the harm which might result from any unauthorised or unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction, damage or theft of the personal data and having regard to the nature of the personal data which is to be protected;
- may hire other companies to provide limited services on its behalf, provided that Moltin complies with the provisions of this Clause. Any such subcontractors will be permitted to process personal data only to deliver the services Moltin has retained them to provide, and they shall be prohibited from using personal data for any other purpose. Moltin remains responsible for its subcontractors’ compliance with the obligations of this DPA. Any subcontractors to whom Moltin transfers personal data will have entered into written agreements with Moltin requiring that the subcontractor abide by terms substantially similar to this DPA. A list of subcontractors is available to the Customer here. If Customer requires prior notification of any updates to the list of subprocessors, Customer can request such notification in writing by emailing email@example.com. Moltin will update the list within thirty (30) days of any such notification if Customer does not legitimately object within that timeframe. Legitimate objections must contain reasonable and documented grounds relating to a subcontractor’s non-compliance with applicable Data Protection Legislation. If, in Moltin’s reasonable opinion, such objections are legitimate, the Customer may, by providing written notice to Moltin, terminate the Agreement.
- shall ensure that all Moltin personnel required to access the personal data are informed of the confidential nature of the personal data and comply with the obligations sets out in this Clause;
- at the Customer’s request and cost (and insofar as is possible), shall assist the Customer by implementing appropriate and reasonable technical and organizational measures to assist with the Customer’s obligation to respond to requests from data subjects under Data Protection Legislation (including requests for information relating to the processing, and requests relating to access, rectification, erasure or portability of the personal data) provided that Moltin reserves the right to reimbursement from Customer for the reasonable cost of any time, expenditures or fees incurred in connection with such assistance;
- when the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/279) comes into effect, shall take reasonable steps at the Customer’s request and cost to assist Customer in meeting Customer’s obligations under Article 32 to 36 of that regulation taking into account the nature of the processing under this DPA, provided that Moltin reserves the right to reimbursement from Customer for the reasonable cost of any time, expenditures or fees incurred in connection with such assistance;
- at the end of the applicable term of the Services, upon Customer’s request, shall securely destroy or return such personal data to Customer;
- may transfer personal data from the EEA to the US for the purposes of this DPA;
- shall allow Customer and its respective auditors or authorized agents to conduct audits or inspections during the term of the Agreement, which shall include providing reasonable access to the premises, resources and personnel used by Moltin in connection with the provision of the Services, and provide all reasonable assistance in order to assist Customer in exercising its audit rights under this Clause. The purposes of an audit pursuant to this Clause include to verify that Moltin is processing personal data in accordance with its obligations under the DPA and applicable Data Protection Legislation. Notwithstanding the foregoing, such audit shall consist solely of: (i) the provision by Moltin of written information (including, without limitation, questionnaires and information about security policies) that may include information relating to subcontractors; and (ii) interviews with Moltin’s IT personnel. Such audit may be carried out by Customer or an inspection body composed of independent members and in possession of the required professional qualifications bound by a duty of confidentiality. For the avoidance of doubt no access to any part of Moltin’s IT system, data hosting sites or centers, or infrastructure will be permitted;
- If Moltin becomes aware of any accidental, unauthorized or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, or disclosure of, or access to the personal data that is processed by Moltin in the course of providing the Services (an "Incident") under the Agreement it shall without undue delay notify Customer and provide Customer (as soon as possible) with a description of the Incident as well as periodic updates to information about the Incident, including its impact on Customer Content. Moltin shall additionally take action to investigate the Incident and reasonably prevent or mitigate the effects of the Incident;
- Moltin shall provide information requested by Customer to demonstrate compliance with the obligations set out in this DPA.
Details of the Data Processing
Moltin shall process information to provide the Services pursuant to the Agreement. Moltin shall process information sent by Customer’s end users identified through Customer’s implementation of the Services. As an example, in a standard programmatic implementation, to utilize the Services, Customer may allow the following information to be sent by default as "default properties:"
Types of Personal Data
- Time zone
- Browser Version
- Current URL
- Initial Referrer
- Initial Referring Domain
- Operating System
- Moltin SDK
- Referring Domain
- Screen Height
- Screen Width
- Search Engine
- Search Keyword
- UTM Parameters (ie. any UTM tags associated with the link a customer clicked to arrive at the domain)
For a full list of default properties available to Customer, see: https://docs.moltin.com/orders-and-customers/customers#the-customer-object
Additional detail (including the below) regarding what information Customer may send to Moltin can be found in the terms of the Agreement and here: https://moltin.com/terms
- Categories of Data Subjects
- Users of the Customers web and mobile applications.
- Processing Activities
- The provision of Application Services by Moltin to Customer.